Sunday, September 18, 2016

Just fun.

Last night my two youngest daughters,  daughter B's boyfriend and I went to see my oldest daughter's final roller derby match of the season.  In addition to the girls and boyfriend, my grandson and granddaughter were there as well - obviously.  I can't say enough about how much fun we had!  Roller Derby completely was NOT as I had imagined!  Last night's match (or meet?) was only my second.  I had envisioned skaters whirling around the rink, shoving other skaters out of the way, punching, kicking - the winner being the team still standing!  I wasn't sure how I was going being able to deal with seeing my daughter in the midst of all this but I had faith.  She was in the Army, served in Iraq, can stand her own with nearly anyone (unless she is really mad and then she cries). So I knew she would be fine.  But I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see that Roller Derby is, well, civil!  There are 2 teams - adorned in short shorts, tanks with their team name, knee/elbow pads, and helmets.  Some of the skaters are super made up and have names plastered across their backs that I know their moms would not have named them!  My daughter is 'Lazer".

But it was civilized - reminded me of a tame, human pinball game.  Teams were in 1 or 2 clusters and prevented members of the other team from knocking down the person who was scoring the points.  This person (who I think is a called a jammer), skates around the rink.  I think they receive scores with each time they lap the other teams.  And teams don't block in an aggressive way - they simply team up and keep the other team from skating through.  Now last night's match was a little more wild - in fact, I thought at one point there may be a fistfight.  But it didn't happen.  At the end of the meet, it was obvious that the teams were very kind to each other.  
I loved it - totally not what I expected.  There were people of all ages, from all walks of life.  There were little kids racing around, the die-hard fans with their signs, cowbells, and horns sat in their seats the entire time fascinated by the game.  It was obvious that this is a family - they watch out for each other, for each other's kids.  Last night they showcased their special guests - Special Olympics participants.  There was using during intermission and everyone was dancing - the Olympians, the skaters, the kids -  it was fun and energizing and I can't wait for the next season to start.


No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...