Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Someday.

For years I have wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail in its entirety.  It is something I've dreamed about - literally - something I've read about.  It is something I've done in teeny, tiny bits and pieces.......enough to say (ahem) I've been on the trail.  My time is coming.  I have a plan.

Since my dad died, I've looked at my life differently.  I've decided that while I may not be able to jump in feet first to somethings I've always wanted to do, I could at least begin the process.  Kind of like how you eat an elephant, one bite at a time.

Realistically it would be irresponsible for me to begin a thru-hike now.  I've got responsibilities to my family.  My job guarantees an education at a good university for my kids.  But I can start small by continuing weekend hikes and beginning with week long hikes.  I love the idea of being on the trail for 4-6 months but do I trust myself enough to set off on my own?  And to stay with it when I forget everything that drew me to it in the first place?

I've got to find out.  I suspect I'll be fine.  I know, however, that I've go to learn to trust: myself, my family, my friends, and in this case, the white blazes.  Physically I am as prepared as one can be years out from an epic hike.  Mentally - I could use a little work.  I'm hoping that by the time my last child has graduated from college that I have the courage to turn in my two week notice and catch a ride to Georgia.

I'll do it. I know I will.

No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...