Saturday, October 3, 2015

Nerves.

This time tomorrow I will be high up in the wide blue yonder traveling to Las Vegas.  I am not a flier.   In fact, my first flight was to Las Vegas for the same conference about 11 years ago.  Although I've flown 3 or 4 times since, I don't feel any more calm than I did for my first flight.  At least the element of surprise is gone.  But this time I will be presenting at the conference and I'm not feeling overly confident about the presentation which I will be doing with a coworker.  In most areas of my life, I feel relatively removed, uninformed, out of touch.  Which is my own doing but regardless, I feel that way.  As a result, I feel as if this presentation will be seen as amateurish and insipid.  I don't feel as if I can get up there and speak for an hour on the subject matter.  I don't need to - my co-presenter and I will be splitting up - but usually, I feel informed enough that if pressed, I could talk about advising for hours (if someone was beating me with a whip to keep me going).

But I think that feeling this way is having a positive effect on my flight-nervousness.  My partner and I can go over the presentation - and over and over and over it because we will have the time - which should keep our minds off of flying.  And if I'm anxious about the presentation, there really isn't any room in my brain to worry about flying.  So it's all good. And we're going to Vegas.

No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...