Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Grandma's cookie jar.



 This cookie jar sat in my grandmother's pantry for as long as I remember. Grandma was a baker and grandpa loved to eat so I'm sure that the cookie jar was always well stocked with homemade cookies although I can't remember for sure.

After my grandmother passed, the cookie jar lived at my mother's house. I always had my eye on that jar because it reminded me of some fun times in my life. It also reminded me - for some odd reason - of the Raggedy Ann & Andy books I used to read. I've no idea the connection between the Raggedys and this beautiful cookie jar.

When my mom passed, I brought the cookie jar home with me. I put it safely in my cupboard where it wouldn't get broken. And where it couldn't be seen. Now that my mind isn't cluttered with work problems, I have time to think about other things. Other things such as why should this cookie jar that is beautiful and holds so many wonderful memories be hidden away. If it stays in the cupboard I can't enjoy it but if I bring it out and set it on my counter and fill it with yummy home baked cookies, there is a 50/50 chance that I may break it. But at least I will have enjoyed it! 

So today I cleaned the cookie jar and filled it with snickerdoodles. It makes me happy to see it and it makes my husband happy to eat the cookies within!  And now, I may go ready my Raggedy Ann & Andy books!



1 comment:

Granny Sue said...

What a great story. I am so glad you brought the jar into the light. And snickerdoodles! My family's favorite!

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...