Friday, September 11, 2009

Thank you, Soldier Girl


A solemn day. Eight years ago today my youngest daughters were at their first day of preschool. And our country was under attack.
I can remember precisely the spot where I was standing when I realized that the plane hitting the Twin Towers was not an accident.
I remember thinking later that morning that we were being attacked from all sides. The banners at the bottom of the TV reporting all sorts of planes falling from the skies.
I remember picking up my son from school and the look of pure terror on his face. I remember standing by the beds of my sleeping children and wondering if there would be a world for them to grow up in. I felt so, so hopeless - so many people did.
I remember my daughter who I thought would be prime candidate for reform school, saying that she wanted to enlist in the Army. Which she did. And I'm so proud of her and of all the young men and women who selflessly gave of themselves to protect us moms, dads, sisters, brothers, sons, and daughters. So that we wouldn't have to wonder about the future of the world for our babies. Thank you, Kristen. Thanks to all of our servicemen and women.

No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...