Friday, June 3, 2011

Play nice.

Play nice.  I remember my mom saying this to me and my little brother.  Just play nice.  My mom is easily one of the nicest people I know.  I am sure she would disagree.  Seriously though, my mom is the nicest person you could meet and if you don't already know her, you should try to meet her.   She is the one who has taught me that is better to be nice, that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  Don't get me wrong - she knows how to express an opinion better than anyone I know but still, she is nice to people.  And that is something that is sorely lacking in the society I've encountered throughout the years.

I wish the world would listen to my mom.  She knows what she is talking about.    Or, rather, what she is smiling about.  I remember when I was young, we would drive to Erie to visit my aunt.  And my mom would wave.  To everyone.  I don't know why but embarrassing as it was to a teenage, I thought that was a pretty nice thing to do.  When we are out, she smiles at everyone.  Sometimes a chuckle to go with that smile.  Especially at little kids.  I love that.  Now honestly sometimes, a remark mumbled under her breath makes me laugh even more, but my mom always has a smile for little kids.

So today on campus, at the grocery store, on the road, I got to thinking that there are a whole lot of people who need to spend some time with my mom.  The crabbier that people seem to be, the friendlier I become.  Which makes me think (since I am so much like my mom) that that is the purpose behind her own friendliness. 

This afternoon - in the frame of about a half hour - I think that there may just be a happier bank teller, a happier cashier at the grocery store, and maybe one or two happier people behind the wheel.  I was thinking of my mom as I left the office at lunchtime and I decided to share a little of her today. 

So I hope you enjoy her.  Thanks mom!  I love you!!!!

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...