Saturday, July 4, 2015

Getting used to things.

So I'm slowly getting used to the idea of my daughters heading off to college.  In all honesty, the thought of having a sewing room is very appealing.  And I'm making plans for my little farm and for my life.  For the past 33 years, I've had young children with me.  For over three decades, I've been driving kids to various practices, cared for them when they were sick, scheduled doctors appointments and dentists appointments.........worried about whether I was too protective, not enough of a friend.  And now, I'm down to one.  My youngest, who seems to be pretty self-reliant and independent.

It is going to take some time, getting used to being just me and my little dog.  And the goats and the chickens and my garden. And the pony and the duck.  It is going to take some time to get used to the fact that I can sew in the middle of the night without waking anyone and that there really isn't any reason for me to come straight home after work.  No one will be waiting for me.

Maybe I'll get a second, part-time job and save for a train trip out to visit my oldest son or that quilting cruise to Ireland.  Maybe I will read all of those books that I've been wanting to read.  Maybe I will, I should, finish the quilts that I've started.  I can get up early in the morning and run.  I can run at midnight if I want.  Which I don't but I could.  This will be a whole new life for me.  My and my 'little' boy, who will be graduating in another couple of years.  I'm sure there are still some tears left to shed but I'm feeling better about the changes.

No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...