Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A week at the beach.

 Last week's stay at the beach was exactly what was needed.  It was a girls' week - my mom, two of my daughters, and me.  It has been a heck of a year so far.  A year of change.  And much of the change has not been good.

I know my mom had a great time. And she deserves it.  She loves the ocean.  There really isn't much to say about last week other than it was the most peaceful,most wonderful time spent with my mom.  I know there will be rough times ahead: for my mom, for my brothers, for me.  But I need to remember that there are still some really bright spots and those fun times will come more and more often.

 There's nothing like the ocean to make you realize how very, very small we are.  It's really humbling.  There's nothing like a long barefoot run on the beach to bring one back to reality.  No cell phone, no head phones.....just the sound of the waves pounding against shore and the sound of the gulls and sandpipers.  It has been an amazingly soul-cleansing experience.

And we will do it again next year.

I'm partial to the rocky coast of Maine but I think my daughters and my mom really enjoyed the warmth of the North Carolina water.  I think though, that either place will serve the same purpose.  We have 51 weeks to decide.

No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...