Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Another day....

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'" - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

I'm at that pivotal point - where I've committed to training for a specific race and am terrified of not running. I'm following Hal Higdon's training for half-marathon and should have 3 rest days. Makes sense. I'm 46 years old, after all. But I can't deal with the no-run days.

I've been running since 1994 and I run like I live my life, to the tune of my own piano. I understand that what I know about running is what I've picked up here and there over the years from people much more knowledgeable than I. So I've decided that if this guy, Hal, thinks I need 3 days rest, then I'll do it! So I compromised. I did a few laps on the indoor track because it was raining but it was so darned hot in there, I decided to take it outside. I ended up doing a little less than 3 miles: speedwork.

I avoid doing anything like speed intervals, etc. but I did them today. Walked 100 steps and then sprinted 100 steps. Not much of a concession to rest days but definitely not as stressful as had I run.

No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...