Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tomatoes







Tomatoes are what I love most from my garden. And yet, another year it seems that I will lose many of them to blossom end rot. Almost nothing in the gardening world breaks my heart like seeing that black stamp on the bottom of an otherwise beautiful tomato.

It doesn't affect all the tomatoes on a plant but definitely affects some of the tomatoes on all of the plants -- regardless of the type. So far it doesn't look as if my cherokees in the planter on my deck have been affected. We'll see. Maybe next year all of my tomatoes will be grown in planter boxes where the moisture can be more carefully regulated.

My husband picked up a pond lining a month or so ago that he found on Craigslist. I choose the hottest of days to dig a hole big enough to set it in. I can't wait to fill it - I am sure that it will be greatly appreciated by the chickens, dogs, and the cats. We all will enjoy it too. And it was great to spend some time with my little guy who worked very, very hard for me.

No comments:

Busy summer

So much for keeping up with this blog! Seems like there is always something to do and for that, I am very grateful! We finally have rain - i...