Sunday, May 17, 2009

Changes . . .

People change. Two nights ago, I witnessed the proof. The change to which I'm referring may be defined more as growth Friday evening, my daughter received an award in Environmental Technology for having the highest cumulative gpa in her class. The prof who presented her award had so many good things to say about her--I think she was shocked.


Let me explain: Kris is a tough cookie. She, her brother, and I endured many years of craziness -- mainly because of me. By the time they were 8 and 6, I had divorced their father, remarried and divorced, hospitalized for nearly a month, and then took the kids and moved 150 miles away from home to a place where we knew no one. In retrospect, I see that I was not being respectful to my kids. I do believe they learned a lot from our experiences but they didn't have the benefit of stability. In their young lives of constant change, they didn't have anything or anyone but me to count on. I feel that our relationships now are very strong. I also think that neither of my olders kids have strong self-esteems.

Kris hated high school. Hated it. One of her teachers told me that she would never make it. Which makes her award even sweeter. She has worked hard. It has been all her. And hope she sees what a positive role model she is. It is very, very hard for her, she has a 2-year-old who she is raising alone because the father chooses not to be involved. She is a good mom, her son always is smiling - I've never seen such a happy kid! And now she has proof that her goodness is not just her mom being biased. She has the proof.

From a high school girl who was removed from class from moo-ing, to a woman at the head of her class in a largely male dominated environmental field. She should be proud.

No comments:

Busy summer

So much for keeping up with this blog! Seems like there is always something to do and for that, I am very grateful! We finally have rain - i...