Friday, April 5, 2013

Tonight's the night!


Today was a great day.  I met with a student who seemed a little lost and a little unsure of why she had chosen the path she was on.  So I asked her, if you could go be anything - anything at all - what would it be?  And she said, 'a farmer'.  Kindred spirits are we.  But it made me kind of sad.  Why is there a girl who wants to be farmer spending 4 years at a school that she would rather not attend studying a subject that she really isn't interested in?  There's a hundred reasons I suppose.  Maybe her parents are pushing her away from the much less lucrative field of farming.  I think it is sad that compensation is measured in money.  I'm no different.  I would rather be many places than where I am 9 hours a day.  But my kids hopefully want a college education - and working at a University certainly helps.  Because it's the thing to do.

I found this video on one of the blogs I like to read and it really hits home. And speaking of dreams and farms and doing what one wants to do......tonight I took my first riding lesson (actually riding and horse-caring) and I fell in love.  I rode a beautiful Tennessee walker named Phoenix.  And he is beautiful, just like the other Phoenix I know.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Oh good for you!! Although I'm slightly jealous, LOL, I am thrilled that you are following your dream.

Lesa said...

A long time ago, I was fortunate enough to realize I was doing exactly what I want to do. Exactly! I don't have a lot of money, but I hope to have "enough". I'll never make a lot of money but, as long as I can keep doing what I love, who cares if I don't drive a thus-and-so car, etc. So, as much as I'm reluctant to say it (for what must be a dumb reason), I'm pretty happy. Hope you are too. Good to read you're loving the riding lessons!

Busy summer

So much for keeping up with this blog! Seems like there is always something to do and for that, I am very grateful! We finally have rain - i...