Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Getting Ready

I looked out the window today while sitting in a meeting and what do I see? Light, fluffy snowflakes dancing from the sky. It was beautiful. Not! Like every other gardener this time of year, I've been busy pouring over the seed catalogs that began arriving as far back as December. My new seed for this year is pak choy - and I'm so excited! I planted a bit of spinach, lettuce, and arugula in my indoor planter. With a little bit of luck - the cats will leave it alone - and I'll have some fresh greens for my salads.

Last year in my hurry to start the growing season, I started tomato plants way too soon. My husband's grandmother who just turned 90 last year, has tomato planting down pat. I should follow her lead. But this time of year, there are only really root vegetables. I'm a little tired of carrots and potatoes.


But I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting summer. At the moment, all three of my kids are busy drawing posters and pictures to enter into the Grange Fair that is held every August. In case you are wondering, there are 185 days until the start of Grange Fair. Dinner tonight was a pleasant cacophony of plans to show cows and horses, to grow corn to sell for spending money, to using the saw to make a wooden cow to enter. Each one trying talk over the other in their excitement.
The chickens, too, apparently are planning ahead. We are getting tons of eggs! So many that we are giving them away. It is February 22 and we are closer to the start of spring than we are to the start of winter.
It is all good.



No comments:

A motley crew.

  It is so true. When you have a dog, there is always someone happy to see you.  My cats are happy to see me as well - especially if I'm...